Thursday, April 9, 2009

free

I was talking to my dad the other day about this summer.
We are making plans. I love summer plans.
To me summer always means freedom. Schedules relax. Kids play. I breathe easier
The alarm doesn't have to be set. Sweaters go in the drawer and the flip flops come out.
But we were talking about meeting up down at beach house that
some of Dad's friends let us use. It seemed the timing wasn't right.
I sighed. I told Dad, "I was hoping we could go somewhere that was free."
Dad laughed and said,
"Never free. Free for us maybe but someone else would be paying for it."
Because these friends do that. They pay and let you come stay.
And in these past weeks that truth has been sinking in.
Sometimes truth takes a while to pierce the soul.
Free always comes at a cost to someone.
When I watched the Passion on Sunday, It reminded me of the flip side of freedom.
Cost. Payment. The high price at which it comes.
Jesus thought he would like us to have a chance to be free.
From sickness and death and hurt and sin and selfishness.
And so he decided to pay. With himself. And I can not comprehend it.
Because of him I get to live free. And sometimes I forget that.
In the day in and day out of living life, the bills, the crazy doctors visits,
the homework, the struggles against laundry and dishes,
I lose sight of all that was accomplished with his dying. There is freedom for me.
He knows me. He knows I struggle.
He knows I get angry quick and forget to love people.
He knows I get really sad sometimes.
He knows that I get confused about life and I lose sight of him on occasion.
He knows I'm afraid of heights and that I wish I was a better mom.
He knows I make mistakes almost every day and say things I wish I could take back.
But even before I was born he knew all my days. He knew how many summers I would have. And he would like for me to be free.
Free from all that keeps me far from him.
He would like to give me a summer for my soul.
Where I could throw off the heaviness of daily life and relax in his presence,
in the knowledge of what was done all those long Easters ago.
And so on this day, this Thursday, I am going to remember it all day long,
that because of him...I get to be free.

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from dead


I Will Rise by Chris Tomlin


post signature

8 comments:

Carrie said...

This is so true- thanks for the reminder!!!

eternity driven said...

your writing just draws me right in. you are so relatable, so lovable and have such a beautiful heart. your writing is a gift and THIS was a fabulous reminder. thank you.
free indeed.

Jodie | Velour said...

I'm covered in goosebumps. This is, to date, my favorite post from you so far. To say that I relate is an understatement. I am now in love with the expression "a summer for my soul".
And I feel like you and I have more in common than I ever thought. All of you "I" statements are absolutely true of me, too.
Thanks for this magnificent post. It is chock full of awesome awesomeness. :) Happy Easter to you too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for that, Sue. Stated so eloquently.

scott aughtmon said...

Good post, Sue. You go girl. Be free! :)

Erica said...

I am grateful for freedom. And I am grateful that you can put it into words so beautifully, Sue.

BizzieLizzie said...

Oh, Sue - your gift of writing is amazing. To think it touches so many of us and we "get" it. Thanks so much for this lovely reminder! Happy Easter wishes to you and your family!

Unknown said...

beautiful.