Sunday, August 11, 2019

the state that I'm in....that would be Idaho

So just a few things have happened in the 4 months since the last time I posted here on the blog...

1. My second year of teaching came to an end.
2. I decided that I will be returning to writing and editing full-time in the coming year.
3. Our oldest son, Jack, graduated from high school giving one of the commencement addresses
(Breakdown #1...so proud and torn all at the same time. I can feel him getting ready to fly.)
4. My dad, Richard Foth, interviewed Jack and had him read his poignant & funny address for his podcast, Known. Take a listen.
5. Our church plant of 14 years came to an end with a wonderful celebration of friends & family.
(Breakdown #2 - we love those people like crazy)
6. After pastoring since his late teenage years,
 Scott took a full-time position as a content marketer with a tech company.
7. With parental help, we bought our first house.
(Breakdown #3 - their gift of generosity wiped us right out!!!!)
8. We packed up all of our earthly belongings in two pods.
9. We said good-bye to all of our amazing friends and family in the Bay Area.
10. We left Jack with friends in California so he could work until he starts college in August.
(Breakdown #4 - leaving your kid in another state is THE WORST)
11. We drove for 4 days...with our cat and dog...to my parents' house in Colorado.
 (Breakdown #5 - dogs and cats staying in your hotel room is trying to the soul)
12. We recovered for a few days, left our two youngest, Will and Addison,
with my parents and drove to Meridian, Idaho.
13. We signed our lives away and got the keys to our house.
(Breakdown #6 DREAM COME TRUE)
14. We began to unpack our new home, getting acclamated to our new city.
It feels new and weird and good. All at once.
15. A week after we arrived, my parents drove up with Will and Addison.
Will christened it by repeatedly jumping off of the stair landing to the floor below.
16. Scott started his new job, jumping in feet first. He is pretty amazing. And cute.
17. I registered the boys at their new school. The reality of the move is setting in.
(Breakdown #7 Leaving good friends is heart-wrenching. Making new friends can BE HARD.)
18. My parents helped us get settled, instructing us in the ways of homeowner's, a.k.a.:
what it means to manage your own sprinkler system and mow your own lawn. 
19. My folks left promising to return in September to help with planting. THEY ARE THE BEST!
20. I re-broke my middle toe. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.
21. We attended our new church pastored by our friend Mike, with Will and Addie.
(Breakdown #8 Starting at a new youth group is daunting. Making new friends can BE HARD.)
22.  Scott's parents drove up from California bringing Jack with them.
This is what I felt like when Jack walked in the door.


via GIPHY
23. All 3 boys convened in Jack's room for brother time.
(Breakdown #9  I love it when my boys love each other.)
24. After 4 days, Jack flew home to finish up work and hang out with friends
 before leaving for school in 2 weeks.
(Breakdown #10  I am finding out I can't handle my kid leaving me.)

This is what I felt like when I dropped Jack off at the airport.

via GIPHY

I am realizing that this journey of re-settling is going to be just that.
A journey.
Highs.
Lows.
Joy.
Excessive and possibly unwarranted mom tears.

In the next two weeks, Will and Addie will start a new school.
We will all fly to California to see Jack off to college.
And I will shake the dust off my teaching shoes, don my writing cap, and
start writing...again.

I feel like I am wearing someone else's clothes...
like I don't quit fit in with this new life yet.

I don't know how to mow lawns.
Or get to the nearest Starbucks yet.
I don't have Idaho people and my California people feel far away.
My old website has been taken down for a revamp.
I am still figuring out what new direction to take my writing in.
And I keep feeling like I should be lesson planning and grading. (Teaching PTSD)

But here is the thing.

Jesus is on the move.
This whole journey has hinged on miracle after miracle.
There is no way that we would be here right now with out His
unsurpassed, upending love.
He has us in His palm. He is leading us. Guiding us.
Setting our feet on a firm path of Idaho soil.

He knows who our people will be.
He knows that I long for my boys settle in and flourish.
He knows I am excited to write.
He knows that Jack is getting to spread his wings and fly.
He knows that Scott is being challenged and loving growing in a new setting.

He knows.
He knows.
He knows.

And I for one, am ready for the journey.
I am hoping you will come along for the ride.

3 comments:

treebottom said...

I. Adore. You.....and yours and your writing

JanaMac said...

We need to catch up soon!! These are a lot of changes. Love and miss you sweet friend!

Unknown said...

I love your writing in Mornings With Jesus. I also live in Meridian, and am from
California, too. Welcome to Idaho!