Monday, June 18, 2007

on a mission

I was raised on sayings like
"I have a heart for missions" or "I am called to missions".
When I was in high school I thought I was called to Australia.
Actually I thought I was called to the Man from Snowy River
He looked fantastic and had a lovely accent.
So I guess that was more high school passion than overseas mission.
I spent my last year of my senior year in high school on the MV Anastasis,
a medical mercy ship, trained in relief work.
In college I went on short term trips
to Ireland, Albania, Holland and Spain.
I helped do vacation bible schools, an outreach at the Olympics and
served prostitutes hot tea and butter cookies in the Red Light District, .
By the end of this season, I knew that a life overseas was not for me.
The fact that I had been a victim of a drive-by-spanking in Albania
was neither here nor there.
Okay maybe it was a little bit here or there.
But I was still left with the thought....What is my mission?
Who has God created me to be and what is my purpose?
I am still grappling with what it is.
Galatians 6:4 says...
"Be sure to do what you should, for then you enjoy the personal
satisfaction of having done your work well,
and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else."
So as of this moment, the space that God has me in,
the people he has surrounded me with and the desires
that burn within me, I have this mission.

To love my husband and my three little boys,
To know Jesus in a way that changes my life
To not become undone by frivolous things
(ie laundry, hot weather, spots on the rug, stress, bills, cellulite)
To add some beauty to the world around me
To be a part of something bigger than myself
To write in a way that brings joy and points people Christ-ward,
To make people laugh as much as and as often as I can,
(relay all the humiliating haphazard things that happen to me to others.)

For today, on this monday in June,
these thoughts frame how I would like to live.
But what I'd really like to know from all you tired supergirls out there is...
what is your mission?
Just wondering.

7 comments:

emilymr said...

I don't know what my mission is. But I also was a victim of a drive-by spanking, as I was biking up a steep hill in Santa Cruz. :P

susanna said...

Emily, I knew we had a deep bond. It's good to know that we are drive-by-spanking-comrade-in-arms....and why doesn't it suprise me that your drive by spanking took place in my hometown of Santa Cruz? :)

Amy said...

I believe that I am doing what I'm called to do. First and foremost, I'm a mom. I'm called to love my daughter and train her up according to His ways. I do my best at that.
I also work in the entertainment industry and I have been known to say that my work is my mission field.
I also lead a Bible study group for single parents. I would have never believed that I could do that, but with God working through me, it is awesome to reach out to these wonderful people and see the group grow and multiply and reach more and more people for Him.
I believe that I also am called to write, to photograph people and the world, to make people laugh (I've always had dreams of stand up comedy), and to make a positive difference in the lives of those around me.

susanna said...

I love that, Amy! And I can honestly say that you have made a positive difference in my life:) I still get happy thinking about that chocolate!

upwords said...

Ah, super heroes and their hard questions... I'd say my mission is very similar to yours. To be real in a fake world and bare enough for Christ to be seen. Oh yeah, and to leap piles of laundry in a single bound (only to fall, of course, but hey...)

love ya! Sorry the phone died.

Just Janelle said...

What a GREAT post!

scott aughtmon said...

from jack i love it lol it is cool by love jack