Friday, May 30, 2008

feeling 5

Today Will is five.
He woke up at the crack of dawn to open presents.
Star Wars and Veggie Tales playsets. You can't get much better than that.
At breakfast, he took his place in a grown up chair instead of the kid chair
that he has used since he was two.
And he okayed his birthday snack for school:
nutrigrain apple bars and orange slices.
"Cool, Mom," he said.
He donned his new t-shirt that read "Rock Legend".
If any of you have ever seen him play air guitar, you understand the shirt.
But after all this birthday pomp, he looked at me with a very quizzical look
on his face and said,
"Mom, I don't feel 5."
"You don't?"
"Nope. I feel 4."
So when I picked him up from preschool, I checked in with him.
"Are you feeling 5 yet?"
Nope, not yet.
Until just a few moments ago when I asked him again if the five-ish-ness
was gradually overtaking the four-ish-ness.
And to my surprise it was.
Will answered in the affirmative. He feels 5.
"You feel 5?"
"Yep."
"How come?"
"Because...I just feel it."
From the looks of Will, with the new swagger and all,
5 is feeling pretty good.


post signature

1 comment:

Kara said...

5? Are you kidding me? I still remember visiting you after you got home from the hospital with this little curly-headed cutie! Happy Birthday Will. I wish you and your momma and all your kin lived right down the street from me!