Monday, June 11, 2012

redeem the morning granola

Today is officially our first day of summer...
this is supposed to mean a day of sleeping in for the mother
who has worked so hard all year long getting up and fixing lunches
and lovingly preparing breakfast all throughout the school year.
My children did not receive the sleeping in memo.
Apparently, the first day of summer is
"How many times can I wake up mom before 8:00" day.
I lost count (and all my sweetness) around time number 4.
Then I gave in and got up. Because it just wasn't it worth to try sleeping anymore.
But I have redeemed the morning by whipping up my mom's granola recipe.
It is crunchy goodness in a bowl.
Use it to top fresh strawberries and greek yogurt and you are golden.
One bite and you are in hippy heaven...all that natural food lusciousness makes
the sleep depravity slip right away. (almost)
I would post a picture of the granola for you .....but I ate it already.
Here is the recipe for you:

Mom's Granola
2 C rolled oats
1 C unsalted toasted almonds chopped
1/2 C unsalted toasted sunflower seeds
1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut (pre-toasted in a 350 oven until lightly golden)
1/2 C honey
1/4 C canola oil

Mix dry ingredients. Pour oil in a 1/2 C measuring cup,
and swirl around coating the cup.
Pour into dry ingredients. Pour 1/2 C honey into oiled measuring cup.
 (this will make the honey not stick). Pour into dry ingredients. Mix.
Put into a foil or parchment lined 9x13 baking pan.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Take out and stir. Bake for another 15 minutes.
Take out and heap warm granola on one side of the pan.
Let it cool for 30 minutes so it can hardened and form clumps.
Eat to your hearts content! Store in an airtight container...if you have some left.

No comments: