Wednesday, April 24, 2013

it's time to start embarrassing the children

The other day, the boys and I were driving in the car.
We now engage in the music wars when we drive.
The boys want to listen to Radio Disney.
I want to listen to.....not Radio Disney.
I have nothing against Radio Disney...I actually enjoy it....
except for the fact that all the songs
that I know the lyrics to are sung by Taylor Swift and One Direction.
I know this is hard to believe but I am not 13.
It feels awkward to be singing at the top of my lungs,
I knew you were trouble when you walked in...
Shame on me now....Flew me to places I'd never been.....
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground....
Oh....trouble....trouble....trouble....
(You thought I was joking...I'm not...I know the lyrics...
they are catchy....I'm not going to lie....)
Pulling out of Costco parking lot, I put in The Band Perry and the boys all groaned.
And I started singing. Loudly.
Because I enjoy a good country tune.
As we pulled up to a stoplight, Jack said,
"Mom, look."
I turned mid-song to see that he had rolled the window
down so that the lady in the SUV next to us could hear my enthusiastic singing.
She was looking straight ahead but had a very large smile on her face.
Jack was dying laughing.
I sang softer. In more of a whisper.
And then I started laughing.
He got me good.
But it also got me thinking....
I may need to show up at lunch time at his school and
give a parking lot concert for all of his friends singing Taylor's new song...
Hey, I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22
Everything will be all right if you keep me next to you!
I'm thinking of adding sequins and choreography.
I think that should take care of the problem.

3 comments:

Bonnie Sanders said...

As a family we like to play "I've Been Working on the Railroad" full blast with the windows down as we drive around town. Our goal is to get someone to respond. One day a car drove by us and the driver started singing "Dinah won't you blow" and it made it all worth it!

susanna said...

I love that, Bonnie! :)

Unknown said...

love it! :)