Tuesday, March 15, 2011

the invitation dilemma

Addison is turning 5 in 2 weeks.
It is his year for a big party.
One would think it would be easy to decide who to invite.
Not so.
Addison is very specific about who he wants to invite.
I asked him, "Should we invite your preschool class?"
"No."
"Should we invite the kids from church?"
"No."
"What about your friends from Jack and Will's school?"
"No."
After an long arduous process over a two day span
we had one invitation left to assign...
"What about Antonio?"
"No. He hits me when I touch his hair."
"Well, don't touch his hair."
"But it's so curly!" as if that gives him license to invade
Antonio's personal hair space.
"What about some of the kid's from teacher Lynda's class?"
"No. Oh, wait....there is that one girl with the white sweater."
My head could explode at any moment.
"What girl with the white sweater?"
"And the purple shirt."
"Addie, they all wear purple shirts...they have uniforms."
"She has dark hair."
Still drawing a blank on my end.
"She wears her hair in a ponytail....it's like a waterfall."
Excuse me...did my almost 5 year old son just describe a girl
with hair like a waterfall?
And is there a poetic gleam in his eye?
Why is he smiling so big?
I am so not ready for this....
"Are you sure you don't want to invite Antonio."
"Yep," he grinned.
Alright...girl with the waterfall hair it is....
Pray for me.

5 comments:

scott aughtmon said...

That's MY boy! :)

Shoelady said...

Oh,how I miss little boys...I love that kid.

Girly Muse said...

aw, that breaks my heart just a little!!!

BARBIE said...

I have to say I laughed out loud at the description of the girl with hair like a waterfall! So cute!

Shane Couch said...

Awesome! Max also turns 5 in a week and a half. Since money's tight, we're going to Chevy's as a family (so he can get his sumbrero), and them miniature golfing. His one guest is Gramma who doesn't have hair like a waterfall.