Friday, May 2, 2014

sometimes laughter really is the best medicine

So I broke my toe yesterday.
Because back, hip and neck problems aren't enough.
I hit a patch of liquid on the grocery store floor wearing a pair of $2 flip flops.
It bent my flip flop and second toe under my foot
and I skidded about three feet before righting myself.
It was like ice skating....except I was skating on my bent toe.
I have talent....clearly, talents that no one else wants...but still.
I hobbled to the self check out and bought my bananas and made it to the car
before I burst into tears.
Because sometimes, people, enough is enough.
When I limped in the door weeping, Scott thought someone had died.
He was glad to hear that everyone we know is still alive but sorry to hear about yet another injury
I had inflicted upon myself.
He hugged me and held me and told me that he was sorry I hurt my toe.
We were supposed to go to a dear friend's west coast wedding reception last night.
I knew that the reception was out and laying on the couch was in.
Later that afternoon, I was kneeling on the floor by the couch, wrapping their gift in
the cute sparkly paper I had found.
Addie helped me get the gold tulle and tape to finish it off.
A little tear slipped down my cheek. Addie was sitting on the couch studying my face.
"Mom, are you okay?"
I smiled and said, "Yes, I am okay. I am just discouraged that I keep hurting myself. I am
sad that I don't get to go to the reception."
He was quiet for a second and then he said, "Well, Mom, then I guess you just need to do this."
He placed his hand on the cute paper.
It was a pattern of sunbursts with the words laugh, love, forever, and bliss printed on them.
His finger was pointing to the word "laugh."
Sometimes that kid is brilliant.
I laughed and said, "I think you are right."
I hugged him and he grinned.
The plan for today as I ice myself from head to toe and write like the wind?
Liberal breaks with Tim Hawkins videos and Jimmy Fallon karaoke sing offs.
Thought maybe you would like a laugh, too.

No comments: