Monday, June 16, 2008

sunday conversations

Some of our most interesting conversations happen in the car on the way to church.
Yesterday, we began the car ride talking about babies.
This is always an interesting conversation.
The understanding of how babies happen upon us is not fully understood by my sons
at this point and time....because I don't want it to be.
I try to steer these conversations in vague directions, like....
"Mommy goes to the hospital and the doctor brings her the baby."
My sister-in-law, Cheri, a early childhood pre-school teacher,
told me I am only supposed to tell them as much as they ask...
don't go into every gory detail lest I freak them out.
Or freak myself out mostly. So when Will asks the deep birthing questions
sometimes I yell out things like, "Who wants ice cream?"
And then everyone is thrown off track and begins clammoring for icy treats.
It's a good ploy. I know it will not work for long.
But I am clinging to it while I can.
Last Sunday Jack started off our car ride with the question
"Mom, when you were little did they have radios?"
All I could say to this was,
"Jack Aughtmon! Oh, no you didn't"
This sent him into gales of laughter.
He followed this question with,
"Were there trees when you were little?"
Will caught on and said,
"Did they have toilets when you were little?
Because in our family, it can only get funnier if you throw in a
little potty talk. This went on for a full 10 minutes.
I refused to answer their questions. Out of respect for myself.
After a while it, Jack let out a big happy sigh and turned to Will, saying,
"That just never gets old."
I'm pretty sure our Sunday conversations will never get old either.


post signature

2 comments:

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Hysterical. I've been giggling over this post for 12 hours now.

"That just never gets old."

Snort.

scott aughtmon said...

JACK.HOW ABOUT CLOTHES?