Tuesday, September 16, 2008

nickelback, Jesus and faithchick amongst other things

I saw this video today. I heard it mentioned on the radio the other
day and the lady said,"You need to watch it but be prepared to cry."
And glutton for punishment that I am, I watched it. And it did get me. Yes, it did.
You may or may not enjoy the vocal renderings of Nickelback's If Everyone Cared
(I tend to love a good angst ridden voice backed up by guitars and drums),
but the story, the words are powerful.
I love the Margaret Mead quote at the end of the song,
"Never doubt that a small group of committed people
can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."


And really it got me thinking about how one person, any person can do something big,
if they love people enough.
And on a far more shallow note, how did they come up with the name Nickelback?
But really, that is neither here nor there.
It got me thinking about how Jesus preached revolution with words
like "Turn the other cheek" and "Love your enemies". Crazy things like that.
So I blogged about it today at faithchick.
You can read it here...and be sure grab a tissue before you watch the video.


post signature

4 comments:

Josh Herndon said...

"Never doubt that a small group of committed people
can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has" --this was also a quote on The West Wing, season 4. :)

Brittanie said...

I like the song except for one thing. We are all going to die one day and nothing can prevent that. Before we are born God knows how many days we will have on Earth. I like the overall sound of the song and the meaning and it was a great video. :)

becky sue said...

On the lighterside of things, for those who need a little trivia in their day. . . . . The band's name originates from the nickel in change that band member Mike Kroeger gave customers at his Starbucks job—he would frequently say, "Here's your nickel back"

Yes, the band has a world view of things but if this song and video prompt their fans to look beyond themselves to a world in need it's a good thing :)

susanna said...

Becky Sue-
I love knowing these little "meaning behind the name" stories. How fantastic that you know the small bit of trivia that I was longing to know! Thanks! Sue