Monday, November 2, 2009

a lifetime's not too long to live as friends

This past week I went to the acsi teachers conference with the preschool I sub at.
We were honing our teaching skills so to speak.
And I won't lie, I was taking notes for my own benefit about how to interact with my own children...because sometimes I forget.
My friend, Jenn, who teaches Addie's class, took some of the same sessions that I did.
I met Jenn on the playground at the park by my house 5 years ago.
We bonded over having boys, being in the ministry and a love of chocolate. Dark, please.
But between the two of us, our 6 children combined, our church lives and working schedules, we have hung out all of 2 times in the last half a decade.
But God knits together friendships in mysterious ways. Really mysterious.
Hold on, while I pause to wipe a tear from my eye.
Because last Thursday night while listening to Lionel Richie's All Night Long outside Joe's Crab Shack in Old Town Sacramento, Jenn busted out into the running man, a momentous and somewhat awkward dance from the late 80's.
Think Bobby Brown and Paula Abdul.
This resulted in a 2 minute impromptu dance off between us where we showed off our skillz...with a z.
I can only do the running man for 19 seconds now before I start wheezing like a granny.
I believe she may have bested me with her roger rabbit (another equally awkward dance).
But the crowning glory came the next day, when at the end of a class for preschool teachers extolling the virtues of active play, the instructor taught us a new dancing game.
When she turned the music on it was MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This.
Oh-Oh! Oh-Oh! Oh-Oh! Oh-Oh! Oh-Oh! Can't touch this!
We were in our full 80's glory doing his crab like shuffle across the floor.
The other participants were stunned by our incredible moves.
Or maybe they were just stunned.
That is neither here nor there.
All I can say is that I am grateful for friends who can dance the running man.
Stop! Hammer Time!


post signature